- Monday – Friday, 10am – 3pm
- Saturday, 11am – 2pm (pickup only; no new requests taken on Saturday)
- Please make your requests ahead of time and only come to the library once you’ve received your confirmation from DPL.
How to Place Holds
- You can place holds in our online catalog or by calling 256-208-3487.
- Holds will be filled in the order they are received.
- Online catalog requests: After your items are pulled and ready for pickup, you will receive a notification by email or text (depending on how you have set up your account) letting you know your items are ready for pickup.
- Telephone requests: When you call to request items, staff will let you know the time frame for you to pick up your items.
- When you arrive to pick up your order, you will call the DPL curbside number to let us know you’re here. You will be asked to provide your DPL card number at that time. Staff will check out your items and deliver them to your vehicle.
- All calls for materials received after 2:00pm will not be available until the next day.
- You cannot pickup materials placed on hold in our online catalog until you receive notification that your materials are ready. If you request over the phone, staff will advise you when to pick up items.
- When you arrive to pick up your materials, park in one of the reserved for curbside parking spots on the 6th Avenue side of the building. Remain in your car. Open the trunk of your vehicle or lower a window where no passenger is sitting. Our staff cannot hand materials to an individual directly.
- You must call the number on the sign to let the staff know you are here to pick up your materials. You will be asked to provide your DPL card number at that time.
- Staff cannot take materials from you, only deliver new items.
- Limit 10 items per card. Families may pick up orders for multiple cards in the same trip.
- Normal material limits apply (i.e. maximum of 5 audio books, 5 DVDs, etc.)
- Normal checkout periods apply (2 weeks for books, audio books and kits; 1 week for DVDs).
- If you do not pick up your order after 5 business days, your items will be put back on the shelf.
How to Return Materials
- DPL book drops are open and ALL materials must be returned in the book drops.
- Staff will NOT be able to take returned materials during curbside pickups.
How Curbside Pickup Works
- Place a hold on a book or DVD and wait for your confirmation phone call.
- Come to the library during the designated pickup times and pull into the curbside spot.
- Call the number on the sign to let staff know you have arrived for your pickup.
- Remain in your vehicle and either open your trunk or lower a window adjacent to an empty seat.
- Library staff members will bring your materials to your vehicle and place them in your trunk or in the seat of your vehicle. Staff cannot hand materials to anyone directly.
- Return any materials you are done with in the designated book drops. Staff cannot accept returns when making curbside deliveries.
–>Select tax forms are available for curbside pickup. We have:
- Federal 2019 Tax Year Instructions
- Federal form 1040 & 1040SR
- Alabama Form 40 Booklet (includes instructions and form)
- You can park in the Curbside Reserved parking spaces and call the posted number to request one copy of tax books be delivered to your car. You must pop the trunk or roll down a window for the staff to place them in your car.
–>If you’d like to take advantage of DPL Curbside but do not have a library card, we can take your card application over the phone. Call us at 256-208-3487 and we will set up a library account for you if you live, work or attend school in Morgan County. We can take your material request on that same phone call, and will put your card in an envelope in your curbside order.
DPL will follow recommended guidelines and quarantine materials for 72 hours.
During the quarantine period, items will show a status in our catalog of “reshelving.” Patrons will still be able to place a hold on these items. We ask that patrons be patient with the extended wait times that may result for some titles due to quarantine.
When handling returned materials, staff will wear masks and gloves. Once items have been placed in quarantine, staff will dispose of gloves to avoid spreading any potential contamination.
When delivering pickup items at curbside, staff will wear masks and gloves, and maintain a social distance. We require that patrons remain inside their vehicles during pickup and staff will provide contactless delivery by placing checkout items in the trunk directly (or in a seat in the vehicle that is unoccupied.
Due to safety issues, DPL is not accepting donations for the Friends Used Book Sale Room at this time.