Friends Of The Library
About the Friends of Decatur Public Library
The Friends of Decatur Public Library is a 501(c)(3) non-profit incorporated association. Our objectives are to:
- Encourage all citizens to make fuller use of the opportunities afforded by the Decatur Public Library for the dissemination of education and culture.
- Provide supplementary materials and equipment to increase the effectiveness and scope of services provided by the Decatur Public Library.
- Foster locally an appreciation of the high standard of service afforded by libraries in general and by the Decatur Public Library in particular.
- To stimulate public interest and support of the Decatur Public Library.
- Develop citizenship, enrichment and education through better reading.
The Friends Used Book Sale Room
The Friends Used Book Sale Room
- Pay for your purchases at the Public Services Desk.
- We accept cash, check and credit cards (Visa/Mastercard)
- What you buy from this room helps the Friends of Decatur Public Library do so much to make our library great.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Other Ways To Help
The Friends of the Library will accept monetary donations in cash or check form. Make checks payable to Friends of the Library.
The Friends of the Library is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization. All gifts are tax-deductible.
The Friends of Decatur Public Library accept volunteers from their membership. If you are interested in volunteering for any of the following, please check the boxes on your Friends of Decatur Public Library membership form. Click on each item for more details about what would be required.
Volunteering weekly, in the Used Book Sale Room
Book Room volunteers unpack, sort, price and shelve book donations. The Friends typically work in the Book Sale Room on Mondays and Wednesdays, from 12pm – 2pm. You could be asked to work extra for donation drives or other special events.
Volunteering at events
These volunteer opportunities would not be scheduled regularly, and you would be provided with advanced notice. Volunteers would help with setup such as moving and arranging chairs, tables or other furniture, putting out refreshments (if applicable), and any other work that needs to be done prior to an event. Usually requires an hour before the event and an hour after for clean-up.
Decorating for the Holiday Open House
This could include putting up, shaping and decorating a Christmas tree, unpacking decorations, putting garland on the railings, hanging wreaths, etcetera. Another volunteer opportunity would be removing the decorations, boxing them, and storing them after the holiday.
Serving on the Friends’ Author Luncheon committee
The Friends’ Author Luncheon is a recurring, ticketed author event. Serving on the Luncheon committee would involve logistical organization leading up to the event which could involve phone calls, coordinating advertisement, arranging tickets, setting up the venue and working on the menu. The day of the event will require set-up coordination with the venue, working with the author and/or bookseller, and anything else that needs to be done for the event.
Serving on the Friends Board, if a vacancy opens
The Friends Board meets on the 3rd Thursday each month, at 4pm, in the Community Room at Decatur Public Library. The Board handles the business of the Friends’ group: coordinating the Used Book Sale Room, determining the distribution of the profits, planning occasional events, and supporting the library. Meetings typically last one hour. Opportunities to head up or serve on special committees may arise which would require more time.