Decatur Public Library
LIBRARY USE GUIDELINES
Decatur Public Library strives to serve our patrons effectively by providing a welcoming and safe environment. We ask that visitors help us to maintain an atmosphere that is conducive to learning and community engagement by following our Guidelines Governing Use.
While using the library, please do not:
- Engage in unnecessarily noisy or disruptive behavior (example: loud cell phone use or verbal arguments)
- Leave a child under the age of 10, or vulnerable adult, unattended
- Solicit, panhandle or loiter
- Take photographs or videos of library users without their permission
- Sleep, eat or drink (except for covered beverages)
- Enter the library if you have neglected your bodily hygiene
- Enter the library without shoes or appropriate attire
- Bathe, shave or wash clothes
- Distribute leaflets or post notices without permission from library management
- Bring in animals except service animals
- Enter into non-public or staff-only areas
- Park vehicles on library premises for purposes other than library use
- Use bicycles, rollerblades, skateboards or similar items inappropriately on library property
- Bring in more than two bags or any bag exceeding 36”x18”x12” (except with Director’s permission)
- Block aisles, shelves or any thoroughfare with personal items, or leave items unattended at any time
- Use another person’s library card number without that person’s permission
The following are illegal and are not permissible in the library:
- Bringing weapons of any kind into the library except those allowed by law
- Harassing library users or staff (physical, sexual, verbal or stalking)
- Illegally selling, soliciting, or using drugs or alcohol on library premises
- Smoking or tobacco use, including the use of electronic and smoke-free cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, inside or within 75 feet of any library entrance
- Vandalizing library facilities, equipment or materials
- Removing library materials from the building without checking them out
- Engaging in sexual conduct or lewd behavior
- Viewing pornography of any kind
- Engaging in any activity prohibited by law
We ask patrons to follow library policies and guidelines, or abide by any reasonable request from staff or security to refrain from disorderly or disruptive behavior.
Violations of library policies or guidelines may result in removal from the facility and/or suspension of library privileges.
Illegal activity may result in expulsion from the library facility, suspension of library privileges, and whereby federal, state or local laws apply, may result in arrest.